Sunday 1st of May marked the last day of a series of 4 weekends training/racing for the Monkstown Bay Sailing Club Fevas. great to see so many boats out. Huge thanks to Ewen, volunteers, parents, and sailors for making the event such a success!
The FEVA fleet also took part in the RS Southern Championships and a competitive fleet of eight boats from St Mawes Sailing Club in Cornwall, the Royal Cork Yacht Club and Monkstown Bay Sailing Club took part in the regatta. Conditions varied greatly over the weekend and participants were also introduced to the delights of the impact of spring tides in and around their race area near the Naval Base Haulbowline Island. Day one was shaped by a moderate to strong southerly breeze and strong tides. Some of the less experienced crews decided not to fly a spinnaker and this impacted on results. The duo of Kitty O’Haloran and her sister Lily, from SMSC, finished a three race day one with three wins followed by Tony Geraghty and his crew Tara Kennedy of MBSC and in third place were Daisy and Ruby Duggan of MBSC. Day two was equally challenging with light airs and rain for the first race followed by stronger wind and continuing rain for the second. Racing on this day was more competitive with a tighter fleet, a boat getting temporarily stuck in mud and a number of wind shifts that needed to be assessed in conjunction with a strong tide pushing boats to the East of the course. There was also a shift in fortunes for those in third and fourth place from the previous day. A great weekend was had by all especially those experiencing a Regatta for the first time. The final results, with one discard, for the RS FEVA Southern Championships were: 1st Kitty & Lily O’Haloran, SMSC on 4 points 2nd Tony Geraghty & Tara Kennedy, MBSC on 10 points; and 3rd Aifric Barry, Siofra Deasy and Ewen Barry, MBSC on 11 points. Special recognition also went to the duo of Jack Horgan and his crew Donagh Leahy who took the weekend in their stride and personified calmness.
It is with tremendous disappointment I am formally announcing that the Easters and Southerns are to be postponed due to the very gradual easing of restrictions in relation to outdoor sports.
Next official government update is due in May which might start to give us some indication if our July events (DL Week + Inlands, Blessington) can go ahead
Northern Rep Paul Mclaughlin and Carrickfergus are confident there will be a Northerns in August. Hopefully by September for the Nationals lockdowns will be a distant memory! Additional dates later in the season will be considered with the host clubs for postponed events!
As always as soon as I have any definite decisions/updates I’ll post updates.
DL early entry finishes on the 31st of March – we currently have 3 x 400s registered https://www.dlregatta.org/race-office/entries-to-vdlr-2021/ We would need sufficient numbers to have our own starts for the 200s/400s – I appreciate it is very uncertain at the moment and there may be some clarity next week so in an attempt to gauge interest I’ve started the following poll! With vaccinations ramping up the summer might start looking hopeful…
I’m delighted to welcome Orna Tubridy as our Feva Rep for 2021 season! There are a few things we nee to sort out with the Feva FB page and other bits and pieces but I’m delighted to have Orna involved to be be the voice of Fevas on the RS Committee!
Quick update on current plans/thinking for the 2021 season. We are waiting for official updates to confirm what is or is not possible. We are in regular contact with our hosts clubs for events scheduled this season and will do our best to work with them and the relevant guidelines in place at the time. Currently inter-country travel and racing can only take place in Level 2. As soon as any firm decisions or updates are available I’ll post them on facebook and send an email. I hope everyone is staying safe and not going too crazy!